When it comes to business travel outfits for men, it’s important to strike a balance between style and comfort. This allows you to confidently go from the plane to a client lunch, and then off to your next meeting, all in the same outfit. At the same time, you’ll also want to consider how you can reuse components of your outfits to create different looks while travelling light.
You need clothing that moves with you, can be adjusted to accommodate the fluctuation of temperatures that are expected when flying, and gives you the confidence to have all eyes on you during that big presentation.
It seems like a tall order, but we’re here to help by breaking down the best business travel outfit ideas for men.
Must-Haves for Business Trip Attire
Versatility is key when it comes to business travel outfits for men. Pack suits in neutral or complementary colourways so that you can easily mix-and-match pieces throughout your trip.
A fresh dress shirt not only enhances business travel outfits for men, but they quickly enable you to multiply your wardrobe options. Because they won’t take up much space in your bag, you’re free to splurge a little when it comes to your dress shirt selection.
Here are just a few of our favourites:
- Navy Stripe Cotton Semi Spread Collar Shirt
- White Cotton Twill Euro Spread Shirt
- Midnight Paisley Hidden Buttondown Cotton Shirt
Tip: To prevent wrinkles while packing your dress shirts, ensure they’re buttoned, fold the sleeves inward towards the middle of the shirt, fold in the sides of the shirt towards the middle by about three inches, and then fold the shirt in half from the bottom.
The best business travel outfits for men are completed with the right pair of shoes.
Once you’ve selected the outfits you’ll bring, make sure your shoes complement them–but don’t discount the importance of comfort! Your shoes will be a constant in your business travel wardrobe, and you’ll likely be in them all day.
Aim to pack two pairs that work with the tones in your outfits. A sophisticated brogue or oxford can instantly elevate your look and seamlessly transition from the office to cocktails.
Look for ones that have soft soles that will make them comfortable for hours of continuous wear. Or, consider a low-profile insole to help distribute your weight.
Ties can be truly transformative–so don’t discard their importance when packing.
They’re the perfect opportunity to let more of your personality shine through–without limiting your ability to mix and match pieces as much as a vivid suit jacket might.
Ties can be used to add a pop of colour to business travel outfits for men, introduce a unique pattern, or take casual business trip attire up a notch. The options are virtually endless, but of course, you’ll want to pack options that complement the other pieces in your bag.
Look for high-quality fabrics like 100 percent silk and pay close attention to the width and length. You don’t want a tie that’s either too wide or too skinny, as these quickly date your outfit.
As a rule of thumb, aim for ties that are about 2 ½” to 3 ½” across.
A bow tie signals confidence and helps you stand out from the crowd at formal events.
You probably won’t wear one daily, but it can be the perfect addition to business travel outfits for men when you need to elevate your look.
Like ties, a bow tie should be made of quality material, and its size and shape can date or limit an outfit. For formal business trip attire, we recommend a modern butterfly bow tie, a batwing bow tie, or a diamond tip bow tie.
Here’s the difference between them:
Modern Butterfly: This bow tie shape is easily the most common–and for good reason! Its simple, classic shape is suitable for any occasion. This makes it well-suited for business travel outfits for men.
Batwing: This sleek, slim bow tie shape offers a clean look that’s often thought to be more casual than the butterfly shape. That said, it can still be worn with formal outfits.
Diamond Tip: This asymmetrical shape is less commonly seen, giving it a unique edge that supplies business travel outfits for men with a little more oomph.
Dress socks don’t need to be flashy, although it’s important to invest in some that won’t detract from the rest of your business trip attire.
The right dress socks not only help you look put together, but are key to keeping you comfortable through long days. Consider options that use anti-odor technology to keep you feeling fresh. Ones with substantial cushioning will also help prevent aches and pains.
Adding a few colourful dress socks to your bag can also help you diversify business outfits for men. However, we recommend steering clear of novelty socks. Instead, opt for bright options that complement the neutrals in your outfit. For example, a deep purple dress sock to go with grey suit pants.
Trench coats are the perfect layering piece for business travel outfits for men. They can be paired with a full suit, or used to lend some timeless sophistication to casual outfits.
Since a good trench coat is a staple piece you can wear for nearly any occasion, opt for a neutral colourway that won’t limit your style. We even offer reversible styles like the Tan Navy Reversible Tech Trench Coat and Black Burgundy Reversible Trench Coat to give you more options.
How to Accessorize Business Travel Outfits for Men
Accessories go a long way in rounding out business travel outfits for men and it never hurts to have a variety on hand.
Here are some we recommend for any business trip:
- Tie Clips/Bars: In addition to keeping your tie in place, tie clips and bars can also function like a piece of jewellery.
- Cufflinks: Also balancing functionality with fashion, cufflinks secure the cuffs of your dress shirts but come in all types of materials and designs.
- Pocket Squares: These decorative accessories provide another avenue for you to show off your creativity.
- Watch: Apart from helping you stay on schedule, a great watch is a timeless accessory that not only signifies your fashion sense but carries the connotation that you’re punctual and reliable.
Leisurewear for Business Trips
Once you’ve packed your business apparel, don’t forget to add a few pieces for your leisure time!
Our Vue Collection is perfect for business casual travel outfits. It includes an array of luxe-casual options that are comfortable yet polished. This makes the pieces ideal for sightseeing, date nights, catching a game at a bar, or just about anything in between.
Here are a few options from the collection that you can remix as you go:
- Navy Button Front Short Sleeve Knit Shirt
- White Button Front Short Sleeve Knit Shirt
- Black Comfort Jersey Knit Shirt
- Blue & Grey Stripe Seersucker Jacket
- Brown Wool Knit Jacquard Sweater Jacket
- Off-White & Grey Double Faced Pique Knit Jacket
- Midnight Blue Knit Drawstring Pants
- Black "Elite-Tech" 5-Pocket Pants
- Grey Jersey Knit 5 Pocket Pants
Travel Essentials for Business Trips
When planning business travel outfits for men, also consider how you’ll get to and from your destination.
For example, noise cancelling headphones will make it much easier to concentrate on your work on the plane. Touching down with a classy set of luggage will also ensure you look meeting-ready even if you don’t have time to stop by your hotel.
Here are some more of our must-pack items:
- Portable Battery Charger: Not all planes have chargers readily available, so don’t rely on them. Keep a portable charger on hand to ensure you’re not left stranded.
- Eye Mask and Inflatable Travel Pillow: Nothing passes flying time like a nap. Bring what you need to make your seat more comfortable so that you can catch some shut-eye.
- Travel-Friendly Grooming Kit: Face wipes, mouthwash, moisturizer, lip balm, and a battery-operated razor should all be a part of your toiletry bag. Keep them handy so you can quickly freshen up during or right after your flight.
More Tips for Business Travel
- Pack Light: Business travel outfits for men are all about versatility. Pack clothing that can be mixed and matched to create different outfits. (This means you’ll want to leave the statement shoes that only go with that one suit jacket at home.)
- Carry On: Checking bags takes time and increases the likelihood that they’ll get lost. Always stick to carry-on bags when possible. You should also invest in bags with a stable structure to prevent damage to your items.